Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A 45 minute Session

Sessions are typically 30 minutes where I work. But I asked to have a 45 minutes session with one little boy who has CP. He started out with such high tone, I was unable to abduct his hips to even sit on the withers. Here is why the longer session was so important: 10 minutes facing sidways, 10 minutes facing sideways the other direction, 5 minutes facing backwards with hips partially abducted, 5 minutes with a beautiful straddle facing backwards, 10 minutes facing forwards with feet in stirrups and grasping the handle, 5 minutes with a hand activity. He was able to grasp the handle to a bottle while I helped him (hand over hand) to pull off toys attached with velcro and insert them inside. I realize that the bottle was too high for him and if I had a bottle with two handles resting on the anticast handle- his posture would have been almost ---perfect! Now to create........
Barbara Smith, M.S., OTR/L
HorseOT.com

No comments:

Post a Comment