Monday, March 22, 2010

I have used this ring stack in many ways to promote balance, reaching and coordination. The red ball inside a mesh bag attached to the tube with duct tape squeaks helping me to get the child's attention or reward him or her after placement. I attached the orange cone on the bottom. This one is sort of flat on top with an opening large enough for the tube to fit. The cone prevents the rings from falling off. I made the cloth rings by stuffing plastic super market bags inside little girl headbands ( I bought 3 for a dollar). The headbands are tubular and I snipped an opening to insert the bags, then sewed them closed. You can make the same thing with an old sock and sew the ends together. These are great for promoting using both hands to push the ring down since it is pretty hard to do with one hand. I had one girl today stand on top of the horse while using both hands to push the rings down. This was quite impressive because she has increased muscle tone and walks very slowly. Another girl was able to do this while on her belly over the horse's barrel.
Barbara Smith, M.S., OTR/L
HorseOT.com

No comments:

Post a Comment