Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Fun Standing on Top of a Horse

A two-year old loved playing with my groan stick so much he didn't mind standing on top of the horse. I have had many new children lately, so its fun to revisit my old and favorite activities-one being to put cards inside a slit in a coffee can. I put an electric toothbrush motor inside to help the child focus on the can. I discovered that if I sort of toss the can to the child at very close range-he will be more likely to use both hands to turn it upright, stabilize it and do the insertion task. I also have been making a point of using either the small or slightly larger weighted ball to make children use both hands as they throw it into the basket.
Barbara Smith, M.S., OTR/L author of, The Recycling Occupational TherapistHorseOT.com

No comments:

Post a Comment