Monday, December 14, 2009

Fun with the Whoopee Cushion

An OK day. I find that I really click with some kids and not so much with others. One little girl with cerebral palsy does not cooperate when asked to change positions and will lean against me at any opportunity. Yet, when I do my best to limit my hand contact to shoulders and hips or nothing- she will just slide off the horse or hang her arms and legs in an awkward position as I try to get her to move her legs and rotate her trunk. The mom tells me that her previous therapist- a PT got her to do all of these things independently. On a more positive note- a new client showed me how she can post repeatedly in order to make the whoopee cushion sounds and a child surprised me by tolerating prone on his belly over the horse barrel (superman position) in order to touch my squeaky ball.
Got a nice holiday gift of sweet items- I'm not a big sugar eater but love to be appreciated!!
Barbara Smith, M.S., OTR/L author of, The Recycling Occupational Therapist
HorseOT.com

No comments:

Post a Comment