Monday, November 9, 2009

Home-made Hoops

The hoops at work keep disappearing and they are a bit too large for some kids to manage. So I made smaller rings by rolling up newspaper and shaping it into a circle. I wrapped strands of plastic around them (the strips that are used for trash bag knitting) and then connected rubber bands and wrapped these around. The result is a hoop that is slightly flimsy so that children need to grasp it with both hands but strong enough to work. They are round and fit inside the hand more comfortably than the flatter hoops (such as the orange one in the picture). My hoops are just large enough to require using both hands, but small enough to be easy. I like having toys that are all different to do trial and error and see which the kids prefer or use most easily. Most of my kids like placing hoops over tubes such as this one . This tube has a squeaky dog toy attached to the top. I use this tube in a variety of ways that all involve reaching and squeezing, although sometimes I squeak it just to get someone's attention.
I admit these ring took a good hour to make which is why I only made two, but they kept me from munching on potato chips during a movie.
Barbara Smith, M.S., OTR/L author of, The Recycling Occupational Therapist
HorseOT.com

No comments:

Post a Comment