Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Modified Position Facing Backwards


This child is a lot of fun to work with-not only does he sing with me, and smile a lot but he tolerates me as I try out different positions. He has cerebral palsy and I started out today's session with a facing sideways position. Then as I was about to transition him to weight bear facing backwards-decided to try this position with his left hip externally rotated and right hip abducted. It broke up the spasticity and his arms were a bit more relaxed than usual. Then I reversed the leg position. I only spent the last 5 minutes or so facing forwards, because he tends to go into a posterior pelvic tilt and slide. I thought his head control was better while doing sit-ups probably because I put this pillow under his head, shortening the time he spent transitioning from sit to supine. I would love any PT feedback on working with kids with CP since my expertise is working with kids on the autism spectrum. But I have to say I love working with this particular little boy.
Oh, at the end of the session-he was able to reach for balls bilaterally (in front of him) and shoot into the basket at his side. The body suit is a big help in increasing postural control and hand skills.
Barbara Smith, M.S., OTR/L author of, The Recycling Occupational Therapist
HorseOT.com

No comments:

Post a Comment