Monday, September 21, 2009

Focus on Ball Play


I bought a ball recently that changes color when tossed thinking it would be a great motivator. I realized that many of my almost three year olds can throw a ball into the basket at close range (from on top of the horse but have problems motor planning to throw to me and position the hands to catch. so I worked on this a lot with my squeaky dog toy and plan to bring in the bag that I sometimes use for catch. A bag is often easier to toss and catch, especially catch than a ball. Just fill a market plastic bag with lots of other bags and tie a knot. It also has nice sensory qualities.

Barbara Smith, M.S., OTR/L author of, The Recycling Occupational Therapist
HorseOT.com
Here is the ball that changes color. I will try it out soon with some older higher functioning kids .

No comments:

Post a Comment