Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Working on Snaps

I missed work on Monday due to an eye swollen from a sty. On the bright side, I wore my glasses instead of contacts today and needed to use these clip- on sun glasses. I asked the children to open and close the snap. Usually I have them open and close a zippered glasses case when I need my sunglasses. A few children successfully opened and closed the snap and I think some will be able to learn this with practice.
One boy with autism thought that my ring stack with vibrating toy inside was hilarious and laughed throughout the activity. He needed less cuing than usual to continue the task by picking up rings that I placed in front of him (while facing backwards). I put the rings inside the cat bed shown below and we were able to manage this while the horse was walking. This was rewarding since the child I saw before him fell asleep one minute after being positioned on the horse and she ended up leaving after a ten minute trail walk.

Barbara Smith, M.S., OTR/L author of, The Recycling Occupational Therapist
HorseOT.com

No comments:

Post a Comment