Monday, August 3, 2009

Using Tactile Balls for insertion Task


I knit this small bag and clipped it to the tack today. I was able to design the bag so that the opening was just big enough for children to insert balls, but small enough to keep them from easily falling out.
Then I collected the many squeeze/stress/tactile balls bought over the years.





It seems that children either love or hate these balls. They definitely are fun to use in placement activities when the child is not tactile defensive. Some kids actually cried when I put them in their hands.
Other children enjoyed inserting them into the bag as part of a squat and stand sequence or rotating to reach the bag while facing backwards.

On another note, a little guy who is usually very happy and cooperative was frightened to the point where I took him off the horse, because the flies were making the horse shake so much. I just hope that he doesn't have a bad association now when he comes to the farm.

Barbara Smith, M.S., OTR/L author of, The Recycling Occupational Therapist
HorseOT.com

No comments:

Post a Comment