Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Valting at Divinity Farm


I did vaulting at my riding lesson today. Here I am with the lovely Bianca.

I have been working during the past 2 years with a little girl, now 6 years old who has Charcot tooth syndrome. She has weakness in her core and legs and is so tight that she is only able to sit in a cross legged position for a couple of minutes.

To increase strength and flexibility in her hips and legs I have her sit with one leg flexed in external rotation and the other leg hanging as I am doing in the top picture.




I really would prefer if she worked with a physical therapist since her issues center around decreased leg strength and flexibility. However, since that isn't happening and she is adorable (so I am lucky to still be working with her) I hope to eventually get her to sit with both of her legs crossed.








Barbara Smith, M.S., OTR/L author of, The Recycling Occupational Therapist
Horseot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment